We believe that research can be one of the most rewarding aspects of your undergraduate experience. Research offers opportunities to make pioneering discoveries at the forefront of science, using instrumentation and techniques far more sophisticated than those you would encounter in standard laboratory courses. Concepts you learn in lecture courses come to life as you apply them in real situations.
For students considering graduate studies, it is a chance to work alongside graduate students, postdoctoral associates and world-class faculty to experience firsthand some aspects of graduate training. Our undergraduate students often coauthor peer-reviewed publications and are afforded numerous opportunities to present their research at conferences at the local, national and international levels.
For opportunities in specific research labs at NC State, directly contact the faculty member of interest. For general questions about undergraduate research or for questions about CH 499, contact the Undergraduate Research Coordinator, Dr. Tatyana Smirnova.
Advantages of Undergraduate Research
- Is considered “experience” by many companies
- Helps you focus on career choices
- Offers you a chance to “do” chemistry
- Provides you with a hands-on experience with instrumentation
- Allows you to earn course credit (CH 499)
- Allows you to compete for scholarships
- Allows you to get published!
Research Opportunities for Undergraduates
- Research in the Department of Chemistry
- U-TEAM: Undergraduate Interdisciplinary Training in Comparative Biomedical Research
- Integrated Computational and Experimental (ICE) REU Program at NC State
- CURiOuS (Connecting Undergraduates to Research Opportunities in the Sciences)
- National Science Foundation-sponsored Summer Research Programs
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory Summer Undergraduate Research Programs