- NIH T32 program to start in 2021, supporting 5 new students each year
- $29,000/year stipend + full tuition and benefits
- Involves over 40 faculty trainers across four colleges & integrated with the broader CMI.
- Interdisciplinary dissertation project with a primary and secondary mentor across the chemistry:life science interface
- Three lab rotations (in person or virtural) during the 1st semester with no teaching
- Three additional semesters of research assistant support (4 total), followed by transition to PI grants or other funding (ie, fellowship support or training grant)
- Newly developed core courses and carefully constructed 1st year curriculum:
- Keystone Chemistry of Life Lectures (CLP501 and 701) & Lab Course in partnership with BIT
- Team Science Training and Mentorship Training
- Responsible Conduct of Research and Scientific Ethics Training
- Individualized portfolio of discipline-specific courses
- Mentorship of a funded summer undergraduate on a dissertation-relevant project as part of the Comparative Medicine Institute’s Young Scholars Program
- Exposure to topics in entrepreneurship through a workshop in collaboration with ORC
- Seminar Program, Professional Development Workshops and Annual Symposium
Students will receive their PhD degree from their primary graduate program, but will receive a minor/certificate upon completion of this training program.
The program is open to accepted, incoming first-year graduate students in Chemistry or Biochemistry, Biological Sciences, Microbiology, Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, Biomedical Engineering and Comparative Biomedical Sciences PhD Programs at NC State.
For more information on the graduate training program, see here: Chemistry of Life Training Program Details
For Fall 2022 admission, interested graduate students who have applied to one of the participating graduate programs should APPLY HERE
NC State Faculty should contact their College’s representative on the executive committee to nominate an admitted student or should ask that student to apply.