We believe that research can be one of the most rewarding aspects of your undergraduate experience. Research offers opportunities to make pioneering discoveries at the forefront of science, using instrumentation and techniques far more sophisticated than those you would encounter in standard laboratory courses. Concepts you learn in lecture courses come to life as you apply them in real situations.
For students considering graduate studies, it is a chance to work alongside graduate students, postdoctoral associates and world-class faculty to experience firsthand some aspects of graduate training. Our undergraduate students often coauthor peer-reviewed publications and are afforded numerous opportunities to present their research at conferences at the local, national and international levels.
Advantages of Undergraduate Research
- Is considered “experience” by many companies.
- Helps you focus on career choices.
- Offers you a chance to “do” chemistry.
- Provides you with a hands-on experience with instrumentation.
- Allows you to earn credit toward graduation.
- Allows you to compete for scholarships.
- Allows you to get published!
Research Opportunities and Information
- Chemistry department opportunities for undergraduate research
- Chemistry faculty research groups
- CURiOuS (Connecting Undergraduates to Research Opportunities in the Sciences)
- Faculty research groups in other departments
- National Science Foundation-sponsored Summer Research Programs
- REU Program at NC State
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory Summer Undergraduate Research Programs
- NC State Undergraduate Research Symposium
If you’re interested in undergraduate research, please submit an application for undergraduate research, and contact Prof. Joshua Pierce with any additional questions or inquiries about CH 499.