In 2018, Prof. David Muddiman was named the Director of the Molecular Education, Technology, and Research Innovation Center. METRIC provides NC State researchers and University partners with world-class state-of-the-art measurement science facilities across four buildings throughout campus, encompassing three key molecular characterization technologies including mass spectrometry, magnetic resonance (NMR and EPR), and X-Ray Crystallography (small molecule and macromolecular).
Postdoctoral Fellow Department of Energy Pacific Northwest National Laboratory 1997
Ph.D. Chemistry University of Pittsburgh 1995
B.S. Chemistry Gannon University 1990
Area(s) of Expertise
The Muddiman Group focuses on the development of innovative mass spectrometry measurements to solve important biological problems. Research projects include developing an ambient ionization method called IR-MALDESI and its application to a diverse range of materials, including soft tissue, plants, textiles and bone. Moreover, the group is working on advanced separations to enable detailed characterization of complex biological samples.
- An adaptive teosinte mexicana introgression modulates phosphatidylcholine levels and is associated with maize flowering time , PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA (2022)
- Development and validation of a high resolving power absolute quantitative per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances method incorporating Skyline data processing , RAPID COMMUNICATIONS IN MASS SPECTROMETRY (2022)
- Glycerate from intestinal fructose metabolism induces islet cell damage and glucose intolerance , CELL METABOLISM (2022)
- Highlighting Functional Mass Spectrometry Imaging Methods in Bioanalysis , JOURNAL OF PROTEOME RESEARCH (2022)
- Mass Spectrometry Imaging of N-Linked Glycans in a Formalin-Fixed Paraffin-Embedded Human Prostate by Infrared Matrix-Assisted Laser Desorption Electrospray Ionization , JOURNAL OF PROTEOME RESEARCH (2022)
- Multimodal Mass Spectrometry Imaging of Rat Brain Using IR-MALDESI and NanoPOTS-LC-MS/MS , JOURNAL OF PROTEOME RESEARCH (2022)
- Multiple Infusion Start Time Mass Spectrometry Imaging of Dynamic SIL-Glutathione Biosynthesis Using Infrared Matrix-Assisted Laser Desorption Electrospray Ionization , JOURNAL OF PROTEOME RESEARCH (2022)
- Normalization techniques for high-throughput screening by infrared matrix-assisted laser desorption electrospray ionization mass spectrometry , JOURNAL OF MASS SPECTROMETRY (2022)
- Novel matrix strategies for improved ionization and spatial resolution using IR-MALDESI mass spectrometry imaging , JOURNAL OF MASS SPECTROMETRY (2022)
- Optimized C-Trap Timing of an Orbitrap 240 Mass Spectrometer for High-Throughput Screening and Native MS by IR-MALDESI , JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR MASS SPECTROMETRY (2022)