In 2018, Prof. David Muddiman was named the Director of the Molecular Education, Technology, and Research Innovation Center. METRIC provides NC State researchers and University partners with world-class state-of-the-art measurement science facilities across four buildings throughout campus, encompassing three key molecular characterization technologies including mass spectrometry, magnetic resonance (NMR and EPR), and X-Ray Crystallography (small molecule and macromolecular).
The Muddiman Group focuses on the development of innovative mass spectrometry measurements to solve important biological problems. Research projects include developing an ambient ionization method called IR-MALDESI and its application to a diverse range of materials, including soft tissue, plants, textiles and bone. Moreover, the group is working on advanced separations to enable detailed characterization of complex biological samples.
- Analysis of neurotransmitters in rat placenta exposed to flame retardants using IR-MALDESI mass spectrometry imaging (2020)
- Comparative Proteomic Analysis of Wild Type and Mutant Lacking an SCF E3 Ligase F-Box Protein in Magnaporthe oryzae (2020)
- Determination of Optimal Electrospray Parameters for Lipidomics in Infrared-Matrix-Assisted Laser Desorption Electrospray Ionization Mass Spectrometry Imaging (2020)
- Development of a relative quantification method for infrared matrix-assisted laser desorption electrospray ionization mass spectrometry imaging of Arabidopsis seedlings (2020)
- Direct Analysis of Native N-Linked Glycans by IR-MALDESI (2020)
- Enhanced protocol for quantitativeN-linked glycomics analysis using Individuality Normalization when Labeling with Isotopic Glycan Hydrazide Tags (INLIGHT)(TM) (2020)
- Infrared matrix-assisted laser desorption electrospray ionization (IR-MALDESI) mass spectrometry imaging analysis of endogenous metabolites in cherry tomatoes (2020)
- Lipidomic profiling of single mammalian cells by infrared matrix-assisted laser desorption electrospray ionization (IR-MALDESI) (2020)
- Metabolite Profiling Reveals Predictive Biomarkers and the Absence of beta-Methyl Amino-L-alanine in Plasma from Individuals Diagnosed with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (2020)
- Three-Dimensional Imaging with Infrared Matrix-Assisted Laser Desorption Electrospray Ionization Mass Spectrometry (2020)
Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Energy, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (1997)
Ph.D., Chemistry, University of Pittsburgh (1995)
B.S., Chemistry, Gannon University (1990)