In 2018, Prof. David Muddiman was named the Director of the Molecular Education, Technology, and Research Innovation Center. METRIC provides NC State researchers and University partners with world-class state-of-the-art measurement science facilities across four buildings throughout campus, encompassing three key molecular characterization technologies including mass spectrometry, magnetic resonance (NMR and EPR), and X-Ray Crystallography (small molecule and macromolecular).
Postdoctoral Fellow Department of Energy Pacific Northwest National Laboratory 1997
Ph.D. Chemistry University of Pittsburgh 1995
B.S. Chemistry Gannon University 1990
Area(s) of Expertise
The Muddiman Group focuses on the development of innovative mass spectrometry measurements to solve important biological problems. Research projects include developing an ambient ionization method called IR-MALDESI and its application to a diverse range of materials, including soft tissue, plants, textiles and bone. Moreover, the group is working on advanced separations to enable detailed characterization of complex biological samples.
- Achieving Sub-Parts-per-Million Mass Measurement Accuracy on an Orbitrap Mass Spectrometry Imaging Platform without Automatic Gain Control , JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR MASS SPECTROMETRY (2023)
- Automatic z-Axis Correction for IR-MALDESI Mass Spectrometry Imaging of Uneven Surfaces , JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR MASS SPECTROMETRY (2023)
- Comparative analysis of sucrose-embedding for whole-body zebrafish MSI by IR-MALDESI , ANALYTICAL AND BIOANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY (2023)
- Development of an object-based image analysis tool for mass spectrometry imaging ion classification , ANALYTICAL AND BIOANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY (2023)
- Enhanced Detection of Charged N-Glycans in the Brain by Infrared Matrix-Assisted Laser Desorption Electrospray Ionization Mass Spectrometric Imaging , ANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY (2023)
- Evaluating the optimal tissue thickness for mass spectrometry imaging using infrared matrix-assisted laser desorption electrospray ionization , RAPID COMMUNICATIONS IN MASS SPECTROMETRY (2023)
- Impact of wavelength and spot size on laser depth of focus: Considerations for mass spectrometry imaging of non-flat samples , JOURNAL OF MASS SPECTROMETRY (2023)
- Lipidomic Analysis of Mouse Brain to Evaluate the Efficacy and Preservation of Different Tissue Preparatory Techniques by IR-MALDESI-MSI , JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR MASS SPECTROMETRY (2023)
- Maximized Spatial Information and Minimized Acquisition Time of Top-Hat IR-MALDESI-MSI of Zebrafish Using Nested Regions of Interest (nROIs) , JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR MASS SPECTROMETRY (2023)
- Metabolite Annotation Confidence Score (MACS): A Novel MSI Identification Scoring Tool , JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR MASS SPECTROMETRY (2023)