In 2018, Prof. David Muddiman was named the Director of the Molecular Education, Technology, and Research Innovation Center. METRIC provides NC State researchers and University partners with world-class state-of-the-art measurement science facilities across four buildings throughout campus, encompassing three key molecular characterization technologies including mass spectrometry, magnetic resonance (NMR and EPR), and X-Ray Crystallography (small molecule and macromolecular).
Postdoctoral Fellow Department of Energy Pacific Northwest National Laboratory 1997
Ph.D. Chemistry University of Pittsburgh 1995
B.S. Chemistry Gannon University 1990
Area(s) of Expertise
The Muddiman Group focuses on the development of innovative mass spectrometry measurements to solve important biological problems. Research projects include developing an ambient ionization method called IR-MALDESI and its application to a diverse range of materials, including soft tissue, plants, textiles and bone. Moreover, the group is working on advanced separations to enable detailed characterization of complex biological samples.
- Transforming a Mid-infrared Laser Profile from Gaussian to a Top- Hat with a Diffractive Optical Element for Mass Spectrometry Imaging , JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR MASS SPECTROMETRY (2023)
- An adaptive teosinte mexicana introgression modulates phosphatidylcholine levels and is associated with maize flowering time , PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA (2022)
- Developing transmission mode for infrared matrix-assisted laser desorption electrospray ionization mass spectrometry imaging , RAPID COMMUNICATIONS IN MASS SPECTROMETRY (2022)
- Development and validation of a high resolving power absolute quantitative per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances method incorporating Skyline data processing , RAPID COMMUNICATIONS IN MASS SPECTROMETRY (2022)
- Glycerate from intestinal fructose metabolism induces islet cell damage and glucose intolerance , CELL METABOLISM (2022)
- Highlighting Functional Mass Spectrometry Imaging Methods in Bioanalysis , JOURNAL OF PROTEOME RESEARCH (2022)
- Improved spatial resolution of infrared matrix-assisted laser desorption electrospray ionization mass spectrometry imaging using a reflective objective , RAPID COMMUNICATIONS IN MASS SPECTROMETRY (2022)
- Interrogating the Metabolomic Profile of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis in the Post-Mortem Human Brain by Infrared Matrix-Assisted Laser Desorption Electrospray Ionization (IR-MALDESI) Mass Spectrometry Imaging (MSI) , METABOLITES (2022)
- Mapping glycine uptake and its metabolic conversion to glutathione in mouse mammary tumors using functional mass spectrometry imaging , FREE RADICAL BIOLOGY AND MEDICINE (2022)
- Mass Spectrometry Imaging of N-Linked Glycans in a Formalin-Fixed Paraffin-Embedded Human Prostate by Infrared Matrix-Assisted Laser Desorption Electrospray Ionization , JOURNAL OF PROTEOME RESEARCH (2022)