In 2018, Prof. David Muddiman was named the Director of the Molecular Education, Technology, and Research Innovation Center. METRIC provides NC State researchers and University partners with world-class state-of-the-art measurement science facilities across four buildings throughout campus, encompassing three key molecular characterization technologies including mass spectrometry, magnetic resonance (NMR and EPR), and X-Ray Crystallography (small molecule and macromolecular).
Postdoctoral Fellow Department of Energy Pacific Northwest National Laboratory 1997
Ph.D. Chemistry University of Pittsburgh 1995
B.S. Chemistry Gannon University 1990
Area(s) of Expertise
The Muddiman Group focuses on the development of innovative mass spectrometry measurements to solve important biological problems. Research projects include developing an ambient ionization method called IR-MALDESI and its application to a diverse range of materials, including soft tissue, plants, textiles and bone. Moreover, the group is working on advanced separations to enable detailed characterization of complex biological samples.
- Enhancing Metabolomic Coverage in Positive Ionization Mode Using Dicationic Reagents by Infrared Matrix-Assisted Laser Desorption Electrospray Ionization , METABOLITES (2021)
- Enzyme Complexes of Ptr4CL and PtrHCT Modulate Co-enzyme A Ligation of Hydroxycinnamic Acids for Monolignol Biosynthesis in Populus trichocarpa , FRONTIERS IN PLANT SCIENCE (2021)
- GlycoHunter: An Open-Source Software for the Detection and Relative Quantification of INLIGHT-Labeled N-Linked Glycans , JOURNAL OF PROTEOME RESEARCH (2021)
- In situ detection of fatty acid C=C positional isomers by coupling on-tissue mCPBA epoxidation with infrared matrix-assisted laser desorption electrospray ionization mass spectrometry , RAPID COMMUNICATIONS IN MASS SPECTROMETRY (2021)
- Investigations of beta-carotene radical cation formation in infrared matrix-assisted laser desorption electrospray ionization (IR-MALDESI) , RAPID COMMUNICATIONS IN MASS SPECTROMETRY (2021)
- Obituary Michael S. Bereman (1981-2021) , JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR MASS SPECTROMETRY (2021)
- Spatially resolved metabolomic characterization of muscle invasive bladder cancer by mass spectrometry imaging , METABOLOMICS (2021)
- The development and application of matrix assisted laser desorption electrospray ionization: The teenage years , MASS SPECTROMETRY REVIEWS (2021)
- Three-dimensional (3D) imaging of lipids in skin tissues with infrared matrix-assisted laser desorption electrospray ionization (MALDESI) mass spectrometry , ANALYTICAL AND BIOANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY (2021)
- Understanding the electrospray ionization response factors of per- and poly-fluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) , ANALYTICAL AND BIOANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY (2021)