Facts and Figures
Get to know our extraordinary department!
By the Numbers
- 60+ faculty and staff
- 200+ undergraduate students
- 130+ graduate students
- 7,000 students served each year across the university
- 50+ active research grants
- 2 general chemistry textbooks authored by faculty in the department
- 11 department faculty have won the prestigious NSF Faculty Early Career Development Award since 2000.
- Phil Castellano was named a NC State Goodnight Innovation Distinguished Chair.
- Alex Smirnov named Scott Distinguished Professor
- Jim Martin received the 2017 North Carolina Local ACS section Volunteer of the Year Award.
- Josh Pierce, Leslie Sombers, and Gavin Williams were selected as University Faculty Scholars.
- Undergraduates Vishwas Rao and Kyle Virgil received Fulbright scholarships in 2017 and 2016, respectively.
- Laura Sremaniak was appointed chair of the National Women Chemists Committee of the American Chemical Society (ACS).
- Gavin Williams was the recipient of the inaugural College of Sciences Honor a Professor award.
- Melinda Box received the Marcus Hobbs award from the local section of the ACS.
- Reza Ghiladi, David Muddiman, Joshua Pierce, and Gavin Williams each received Chancellor’s Innovation Fund grants to help commercialize technology developed in their labs.
- Reza Ghiladi was also the recipient of one of the the University’s Outstanding Teacher Awards at the Office of Faculty Development’s Teaching Award Ceremony.
- Maria Oliver-Hoyo was NC State’s winner of the UNC System Board of Governor’s Award for Excellence in Teaching.
- David Muddiman was elected president of the United States Human Proteome Organization and also received a 2016 Graduate School Outstanding Graduate Faculty Mentor Award.
- Maria Gallardo-Williams received the Gertrude Cox Award for Innovative Excellence in Teaching and was also named a DELTA Faculty Fellow for 2015-16.
- Vishwas Rao (undergraduate) was named a 2016 Barry Goldwater Scholar by the Barry Goldwater Scholarship Foundation.
- Mike Whangbo has been awarded professorships at the Chinese Academy of Sciences and Shandong University in China.
- Sofia Garakyaraghi (Castellano Lab) was selected to participate in the 67th Lindau Nobel Laureate Meeting in Summer 2017 in Lindau, Germany.