Newswire

Meet our Newest Faculty

Get to know these extraordinary scientists, and find out why they’re excited to join the Wolfpack. 

Memorial Belltower
The image represents Phoebe Glazer headshot where the professor wears short black hair

Edith (Phoebe) Glazer

Professor

Ph.D. institution and year: University of California, San Diego, 2003
Recent affiliation: Professor, University of Kentucky
Twitter handle: @GlazerChemLab
Research focus: My lab uses synthetic chemistry to build molecules to regulate and report on biological processes. Many of these systems can be controlled by light, giving us the power to “turn on” activity only where — and when — we want it. We are using these approaches to create compounds to overcome chemotherapy resistance in cancer treatments, visualize RNA in living cells and direct the targeted degradation of disease-associated proteins.
Why NC State? I was drawn to NC State’s reputation for creativity, innovation and rigor in the sciences and engineering. Researchers at NC State are encouraged to “think outside the box” and to try new approaches, technologies and theories! That kind of ambition and fearlessness creates such an exciting environment and encourages us to push the boundaries of what is possible! Another key ingredient is the fantastic community of students and scholars at NC State, who are smart, motivated and extraordinarily creative. Combined with the rich and dynamic environment of the Research Triangle, with its mix of universities, companies, start-ups and philanthropists, NC State offers the perfect environment for me and my team to work toward the most impactful and translatable discoveries possible.

The image represents Professor David Heisaey headshot wearing eyeglasses

David Heidary

Research Professor

Ph.D. institution and year: University of California, San Diego, 2001
Recent affiliation: University of Kentucky
Research focus: I develop assays for drug discovery. I am broadly interested in the protein lifecycle, including factors regulating co-translational modulators, protein folding, trafficking, activity and degradation. Many of the systems I create are live cell assays, where I engineer reporters to be able to follow the activity and location of an enzyme or a receptor. I work to connect this behavior within the cell to the fundamental biophysical features of proteins.
Why NC State? I was drawn by the opportunity to be at an institution that supports and encourages scientists to do their best possible work, from discovery through entrepreneurship. Everyone is striving to be better today than they were yesterday.

Milena Jovanovic

Assistant Professor

Ph.D. institution and year: University of Colorado Boulder, 2019
Recent affiliation: Postdoctoral Research Associate, Princeton University 
Twitter handle: @superchemgirl  
Research focus: Quantum materials are at the forefront of the next technological revolution. However, there are a limited number of known quantum materials, and the quantum behavior usually arises only at low temperatures and high pressures. My research uses a chemistry point of view to design new quantum materials and to find access to quantum behavior under milder conditions, such as room temperature and pressure.
Why NC State? Multiple reasons attracted me to NC State! Mainly the innovative and vibrant research community and the welcoming and supportive atmosphere. I see numerous options for collaboration with faculty members and exciting paths to expand my research.