The goal of the department is to prepare and transform the best and brightest students into independent thinkers and leaders who can tackle any challenge with the education, skills, and training received while at NC State. To accomplish this, we have formulated a rigorous program with specific degree requirements and strict deadlines.
Requirements and Deadlines for Fall Students
- Interview faculty to pick your advisor and submit the Advisor Selection Form due by October 15 during first semester in residence. The form is available at the bottom of this page.
- NC Residency is required by the beginning of the second year for domestic, out-of-state students. Do not wait to establish residentiary acts when you arrive for the first time at NC State. You will apply for residency at the one-year anniversary of being in the state. For additional information review the section on Residency.
- Research Advisory Committee selection along with Plan of Work due by July 31 or December 31, Fall admission or Spring admission respectively.
- Participation required in the Departmental Poster Session in March/ April (fourth semester) of the second year in residence.
- Preliminary Exam (Ph.D. only) to take place by no later than October 15 (fifth semester) of the third year in residence. Finalize schedule with committee at least one month prior to exam date. Submit exam request form to Graduate Office no later than three weeks prior to exam date.
- Formal Divisional/Departmental Seminar (Ph.D. only) required by December 31 (seventh semester) of the fourth year in residence. The poster printing form is available at the bottom of this page.
- Plan for your Professional Research Presentation SIX months before if it’s a national meeting or THREE months before if it’s a regional meeting.
- Professional Research Presentation (Ph.D. only) required by May 31 (eight semester) of the fourth year in residence.
- Schedule Final Defense one month prior to exam date. Exam Request form and Thesis/dissertation due to Advisory Committee two weeks prior to final examination date.
- Apply for graduation through MyPack Portal by the posted graduation application deadline.
- Electronic thesis/dissertation review with Thesis Editor (email@example.com, (919) 515-4497) must be submitted no later than one week AFTER you receive an unconditional pass on the Final Defense. Be sure to adhere to all posted deadlines found on the Electronic Thesis and Dissertation website.
- International students should verify all deadlines through the Office of International Services.