Preparing for your Final Defense and Graduation.
- Decide on a time and date for your final defense and reserve a room. Contact Nada Taylor for Dabney 210 or Cox 400 and Premila Jayaratne for P III.
- Send the Chemistry Graduate Office your current CV.
- Check your Plan of Work to make sure the it is up-to-date and approved.
- Check to make sure you have completed all three required presentations.
- Complete the Request to Schedule Doctoral Oral Examination or Request to Schedule Master’s Oral Examination and turn it into the Grad Office.
- Apply for graduation!
- Check graduations application deadlines.
- Two weeks before your exam date, deliver your document to your entire committee (ask if they prefer electronic or bound copies).
- The Graduate School will electronically send the Report of the Committee to the Chair of your Advisory Comittee.
- Defend and pass, then your committee will eectronically send the report to the Graduate School.
- If you are leaving for a job shortly after your defense, inform the Graduate Office so we end your employment/funding. NOTE: If you leave too early in the semester, the DGP may have to request an exception for GSSP, otherwise you’ll receive a tuition bill and you will not graduate until it is paid. Note that your bill payment must be prearranged with your Adviosr or the Director of Graduate Programs. Do not be alarmed if you still receive an email stating that you won’t graduate until the bill is paid.
- Having any outstanding bills, for example a charge from the Health Center, or holds on your student account will mean NO DIPLOMA.
- Before you leave, make sure you do a final chemical clean-out and reassignment in your lab (contact the department’s Safety Officer or your research group’s assigned Safety Leader for more information on the process). Not doing these things may delay graduation.
Returning Keys, Lab Coats, and Other Checked-Out Equipment
Before you permanently leave your lab make sure you return all keys, lab coats and other checked-out equipment to the Chemistry Stockroom Manager, open only by appointment, schedule a service appointment here or call 919.515.2547. The Department will bill you for any outstanding business and this may consequently cause a hold to be placed on your diploma’s release. If you have any questions about what you need to return please contact the Electronic Instrument Shop at 515-2213 or visit them in DAB 48 (basement).
- Make sure you know your final deadline for submission of your ETD.
- Let the Grad Office know if you plan to attend the Departmental Graduation Ceremony.