The Department by the Numbers 2020-2021
Take a look below at our achievements in numbers:
By the Numbers
- We currently have 26 tenured and tenure-track, 12 teaching and three research faculty. Check out our full list of faculty, which includes contact information.
- Our faculty members excel in their roles as teachers, mentors and researchers. Our general and organic chemistry programs serve over 7,000 students per year across the university.
- We couldn’t do any of this without the active support of our staff. We have 15 staff members who excel in their dedication to our research and teaching mission. Here is the full list of staff, including contact information.
- We granted a total of 17 Ph.D. and three M.S. degrees. We also graduated 25 B.S. and 11 B.A. chemistry majors.
- Day of Giving in September 2020 raised $9,065 from 36 Donors.
- Day of Giving in March 2021 aised $11,079 from 46 Donors.
- 52 projects worth of $7,799,215 of Contracts & Grants were awarded for 25 Tenure/Tenure-Track facultyv between July 1, 2020 and June 8, 2021.
- 75 Proposals for a total of $45,846,522 were submitted between July 1, 2020 and June 8, 2021.
Faculty Members’ Awards and Activities
- Thomas Theis was selected to the inaugural class of Goodnight Early Career Innovators.
- Maria Gallardo-Williams was honored with the Chancellor’s Creating Community Award for Outstanding Faculty.
- Jeremy Feducia was honored with the Board of Governors 2020-2021 Outstanding Teaching Award.
- Brian Space and Phil Castellano were named AAAS Fellows.
- Erin Baker was selected as Spring 2021 Impact Scholar.
- Joshua Pierce receives a five-year $2.4 million grant from National Institutes of Health.
- The Chemistry of Life program was named as a 2021 Beckman Scholars Program award recipient.
- Theis Hyperpolarization Lab receives exploratory R01 from the National Institutes of Health.
- Laura Sremaniak was selected for the 2020-2021 Provost’s Faculty Fellows Program.
- Brian Space receives the XSEDE Supercomputing Award.
- Maria Oliver-Hoyo and Laura Sremaniak were named 2021 ACS Fellows.
Graduate Students’ Awards and Activities
- Quibria Guthrie has received the student award in Chemistry at the NOBCChE 2020 National Conference.
- CGSA hosts Prof. M. Stanley Whittingham
- Bram Frohock wins first place at Three Minute Thesis competition hosted by the Graduate School.
- Kaylie Kirkwood wins 1st place at 2021 CSETAC Platform Award
Undergraduate Students’ Awards and Activities
- Loulou Batta is the 11th recipient of the Distinguished Goodnight Award for 2021.
- Loulou Batta receives the Mathews Medal.
- Karie Muchane was awarded the Panhellenic’s Most Outstanding Woman in Diversity, Multicultural, and Inclusion Initiatives.
- Jon Palmer was awarded the Outstanding Presentation in Photochemistry for his invited talk at the Gulf Coast Undergraduate Research Symposium.
- Cade MacAllister was awarded the Pei Wang Fellowship and received a national Certificate of Commendation Award from Alpha Chi Sigma.
- Ben Stemen was accepted into the Merck Future Talent internship program.
- Meghan Broderick and Ben Masters received OUR Awards.
Graduate Outstanding Senior Awards from Graduation Ceremonies
- Kathy Nguyen received the Bereman Family Award for Excellence in Teaching.
- Thaddeus Paulsel received the Miles F. Anderson Award for Excellence in Teaching.
- Kaylee Wells & Alexandra Forderhase received the Robert A. Osteryoung Award for Excellence in Research.
- Remi Fayad & Roger Machin-Rivera received the Percy L. Julian Award for Excellence in Research.
Undergraduate Outstanding Senior Awards from Graduation Ceremonies
- Hailey Jones received the Outstanding Freshman in Chemistry Award.
- Ben Stemen & Luke Call received the American Institute of Chemists’ Foundation Award.
- Jayden Eppley received the Royal Society of Chemistry Certificate of Excellence.
- Riley Stephenson received the ACS Undergraduate Award in Inorganic Chemistry.
- Cade Macallister received the ACS Undergraduate Award in Organic Chemistry.
- Jon Palmer received the ACS Undergraduate Award in Physical Chemistry.
- Emma Smits received the Scholarly Achievement Award.
- Jon Palmer received the Research Award.
- Loulou Batta & Riley Stephenson received the Community Engagement Award.
- Briley Humphrey received the Titanium Award.