Chemistry Applicant Requirements
- Three recommendations from people who know the prospective student’s academic record and potential for graduate study.
- Standardized test scores (international students, please see below)
- The GRE is not required.
- Statement of Purpose, also know as Personal Statement
- Minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA
- Legible, unofficial copies of transcripts should be uploaded to the application for review purposes. Upon recommendation of admission, the University requires that official transcripts that document all prior conferred/awarded degrees be on file in the student’s permanent record at NC State. The transcript(s) must include a statement of any degree(s) awarded.
Additional application requirements can be found in the NC State Graduate Handbook.
Foreign Applicants ONLY: TOEFL & IELTS General Score Requirements:
Provide Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a total score of at least 80 on the Internet-based Test (iBT). Minimum test scores for each section:
Listening: 18 points
Reading: 18 points
Writing: 18 points
Speaking: 18 points for admission, 23 points for TA appointment where TA has direct verbal interactions with students, 26 points for TA appointment where TA presents lectures in the class or laboratory.
The maximum total score for the iBT is 120 with each section worth 30 points.
Provide International English Language Testing System (IELTS) scores with an overall band score of at least 6.5. Minimum test scores for each section are listed below:
Speaking: 6.5 for admission, 7.0 for TA appointment